M.Sc. OTR/L, CPAM/PL/OT/016
JoAnna received her Master of Science in Occupational Therapy from Seton Hall University (New Jersey, USA) in 2014, after she completed her Bachelor of Science in Psychology at Stockton University (New Jersey, USA) in 2010. She is board certified with the National Board of Certification in Occupational Therapy in the United States and with the Council for Professional Allied with Medicine in the Cayman Islands. JoAnna has a driving passion for working with children with different needs and has been working in various settings with children over the past 10 years. JoAnna’s post graduate studies have focused on expanding her training in sensory processing, anxiety, visual processing disorders, breathing and feeding difficulties, as well as, using yoga and nutritional interventions.
JoAnna encompasses a holistic approach in order to meet each child’s individual needs. JoAnna values utilizing teamwork and the use of meaningful activities for the child and families seeking support. She has experience collaborating with not only parents, but with teachers, psychologists, speech language therapists, physiotherapists, nutritionists, developmental optometrists, optometrists, and pediatricians. JoAnna prides herself in her ability to grade activities to meet each child where they are at in order to learn and acquire skills.
JoAnna holds specialized training in Handwriting Without Tears, Yoga for the Child with Developmental Challenges, and Vestibular and Visual assessment and treatment.Prior to joining the team at KidsAbility, JoAnna worked in the private clinic setting, providing interventions to address various difficulties relating to Autism Spectrum Disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Down’s Syndrome, various learning disabilities, self-regulation and sensory processing disorders, anxiety disorders, behavioral difficulties, feeding concerns, breathing difficulties, visual processing, reading, and handwriting delays.
In June 2018, JoAnna traveled to Jamaica, where she participated in a group of therapists in training the country’s Early Stimulation Program staff in vision and visual processing disorders, sensory processing, and how to manage behaviors related to Autism spectrum disorder as well as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. She also educated staff on seating and positioning for participation in activities and feeding for children with physical disabilities.
To further JoAnna’s studies she has completed the following workshops:
- Practical Sense in Sensory Integration (Part 1-3), instructed by Julia Harper, MS, OTR/L.
- Using Nutrition to Improve the Biochemistry of Development, Learning, and Mood, instructed by Kelly Dorfman, MS, LND.
- Yoga Therapy for the Child with Developmental Challenges, instructed by Anne Buckley Reen, OTR, RYT.
- Effectively Treat Behavior in Children: Traumatic Brain Injury, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Sensory Processing, Cognitive Limitations, PTSD and Other Challenges instructed by John Pagano, PhD., OTR/L.
- Pre-K Readiness and K-5 Handwriting, instructed by Handwriting Without Tears.
- Eyesight to Insight: Visual and Vestibular Assessment and Treatment, instructed by Mary Kawar, MS OT/L and Carl Hillier, O.D., FCOVD.
- Visual Processing Therapy: Helping Individuals with Sensory Processing Disorders, ADHD, Autism, Dyslexia & Acquired Brain Injury, instructed by Leonard Press, OD, FAAO, FCOVD.